Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Excellent night!

Last night was night three for Venom and he did not cry at all when put to bed in his crate!  Yay!  Success!  He is pottied just before bed, then given a few Little Star treats in his crate when I put him in.  He did cry twice in the middle of the night and peed immediately both times I took him out.  Then, when I put him back in the second time, he cried for a few minutes before going to sleep.

This morning, we had a little training session and worked on a couple of stands, a couple of sits, and a few downs.  We also did a little bit of fetch, but he lost interested in the small puppy toy I was using and grabbed a big, floppy dinosaur toy that doesn't have any stuffing and began to drag and kill shake it.  Nice!  I love it!

Every time he comes running to me on his own, I say "Here!" while he is on his way and then give him a food reward when he gets to me.  When I am interacting, I always have treats (either tiny soft treats or kong stuffin) right there next to me so that I can reward anything I really like.

He is doing well on his mouthing.  He is a puppy so of course he mouths, but I just remove my hands and ignore him for about 30 seconds.  Yesterday, Rick, my husband (who Venom really belongs to) was playing with him and I heard him say "Ouch!" and then he put Venom away.  I asked what happened and he said that Venom bit his nose and it hurt.  I asked how he could get to his nose and that if he didn't allow him near his nose it wouldn't get bitten.  He replied with, "but he's so cute" which means that he is putting him up to his nose because he wants him by his face.  I told him that he can make that behavior go away by not allowing access to his face and nose and just keep him on his lap.  These are things we need to think about.  If having your nose right there is an antecedent (cause) for a behavior you don't like (nose biting) then it only makes sense to remove the antecedent (nose) and the behavior will disappear.  Make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment