Monday, July 18, 2011

Venom Gets a Bath!

Whenever I am raising a new puppy I try hard to make sure that all of their experiences, particularly "first" exposures to certain things are good, fun, happy experiences.  This is true for all firsts, getting a bath, going for a car ride, meeting new people, etc. 

A few weeks ago I was out of town for a three day training seminar.  While at the seminar I received a video on my phone from Rick of Venom getting his first bath.  I was a little concerned when I read the text because Rick and I had not discussed how to go about this.  Then came the video.... It showed Venom, in the tub clearly uncomfortable, standing there frozen while Rick taped him.  I quickly called Rick and proceeded to have a mini meltdown.  "What are you doing?  He is so afraid!".  The truth is he was mildly uncomfortable, not "so afraid".  Poor Rick.  It wasn't awful but it wasn't how I had planned for it to go.  Today, several weeks later I gave Venom his second bath, and I did it my way! 

When I give new puppies their first baths it is important for me to make it a positive experience.  Here is how I do it.  I put some warm water in the tub, about 1/2 way up the puppies legs.  Then, I smear peanut butter along the inside of the tub.  I put the puppy into the tub and sort of "attach" them to the peanut butter.  This does two things, first it gives the puppy something to do while you wash him and second it builds a positive association with the bathtub because he learns bathtubs = peanut butter.  I also don't put shampoo on the puppies head for their first bath or two.  This is because I want to ease them into being rinsed off.  Most dogs and puppies are mostly afraid of the water on their head, by not using shampoo on their heads at first, I don't have to worry about rinsing them and can just run some clear water over their heads.  If there is shampoo on their heads I know I will HAVE to rinse it thoroughly, so I save that for later bath lessons!  Also, I don't use the sprayer from the shower at first.  Eventually I will but for now, I just want to use a large cup and pour the water over. 

Venom's second bath was a success!  Look at him enjoying the peanut butter while I start washing him!  By the way, I say it's his first bath, but it's really his second bath, just his first one with me!


The other day I stacked Venom and we took a few pictures of him.  He is currently 12 weeks old and 9.8 pounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment